Fabian and Fridah’s Picks – MW2August 14, 2015
Aston Villa v Manchester United
Last Five Meetings: W0 D1 L4
Fabian Says: Villa Park, Manchester United’s happy hunting ground, against Wayne Rooney’s favourite opponents. Can’t see this going any other way, though Villa should be able to offer a spirited resistance.
Fridah Says: Villa have a terrible record against Manchester United. However, so far this season records seem to mean nothing. Both teams got off to a great start on match day 1. This will be a tough match for both teams and with the UCL qualifier on the minds of United this may not be such a priority. A draw maybe? I think so.
- Aston Villa have not beaten Manchester United at home in the Barclays Premier League since August 1995 (D7 L12).
- Wayne Rooney has scored more league goals against Aston Villa than any other side (13).
Southampton v Everton
Last Five Meetings: W2 D1 L2
Fabian Says: Both teams come of contrasting 2-2 draws in their openers, making this one kind of even. The Saints would want to lay down a marker in their first home fixture and should run out victors.
Fridah Says: Has the making of a very entertaining game. I think the Saints have the edge on this one though.
- Southampton are unbeaten in six home Barclays Premier League matches against Everton (W3 D3), while Everton have not scored in their last three visits to St Mary’s.
- Everton have kept one clean sheet in their last 17 away matches in the top flight.
Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City
Last Five Meetings: W3 D0 L2
Fabian Says: Spurs were rusty against Man United last weekend and duly paid for it, whereas Stoke couldn’t repeat last season’s final day heroics against Liverpool. Both are looking for their maiden win, but only one can get it. Spurs.
Fridah Says: Both teams lost their opening game rather unfortunately. This game is a bounce back game for both teams. They will both work hard for the win.
- Tottenham Hotspur lost both of their Barclays Premier League matches against Stoke City last season, this after winning the previous three.
- Harry Kane could make his 50th BPL appearance in this match and has scored 24 goals in 49 matches. Only 15 players have scored 25+ goals in their first 50 appearances in the competition.
Sunderland v Norwich City
Last Five Meetings: W1 D2 L2
Fabian Says: Sunderland looks like they can’t get enough of perennial slow starts to the season, but you fancy Magic Dick should be changing that. Norwich must know this is a thoroughly winnable fixture and won’t be lacking in effort.
Fridah Says: Sunderland were looking weak over the weekend. Norwich City on the other hand did well (definitely better than Sunderland) and had something to build from. I reckon that Norwich will be in better shape and better organized for the win.
- Sunderland have won one of their past six Barclays Premier League matches against Norwich City (D2 L3).
- Norwich have won just one point in their last nine BPL away matches (D1 L8).
West Ham United v Leicester City
Last Five Meetings: W3 D1 L1
Fabian Says: Both sides are riding high going into this one, so we should be treated to a confident display from both. Though it just feels like Slaven Bilic will be more menacing on the touchline and that just might be the difference.
Fridah Says: Both teams are coming off big wins. They should take a lot from that. West Ham are extremely organized and Leicester City can get the goals. I’m tempted to go for a 5-5 draw but that’s a dream. I reckon that the teams will share the spoils.
- West Ham have won seven of their previous eight home Barclays Premier League matches against Leicester City, losing the other in August 2000.
- Both Leicester City and West Ham are looking to win their opening two matches of a Barclays Premier League season for the first time since 1997/98.
Swansea City v Newcastle United
Last Five Meetings: W4 D1 L0
Fabian Says: First home game of the season for the Swans on the back of a gutsy display at Chelsea should bode well for the Welsh. Newcastle showed signs of revival against the Saints but probably this will be too much for them.
Fridah Says: Another game with entertainment written all over it. I think this should be an interesting one. Newcastle are looking better this season and they should offer tough competition but Swansea should get the three points.
- Since being promoted to the Barclays Premier League, Swansea City have collected more points against Newcastle United han any other side (17 – W5 D2 L1).
- Papiss Cisse has netted four times in four BPL appearances against the Swans.
Watford v West Bromwich Albion
Last Five Meetings: W0 D2 L3
Fabian Says: Watford were encouraging last weekend and the Baggies were maybe unlucky to have been up against a fired up Manchester City. That said, I expect the away side to come away with all the points.
Fridah Says: Watford put in a brilliant display on the opening day. They have no reason not to continue with the same. I think WBA will be more of a challenge than they were against Man City as they will have more attacking options upfront. Still think Watford have the edge though.
- Watford are winless in 14 league matches against West Bromwich Albion (D6 L8, all in second tier). They have not met in the top flight since December 1985.
- At 29 years and 14 days, West Brom fielded the oldest side in terms of average age on Matchweek 1.
Crystal Palace v Arsenal
Last Five Meetings: W0 D0 L5
Fabian Says: Another London Derby for Arsenal hot on the heels of that opening day nightmare against the Hammers. Palace on the other hand had a flyer at Norwich and should be strong favourites to compound the Gunners’ misery. Essentially this is a must win for Arsenal, or else they are basically out of contention for the title.
Fridah Says: At this point the Eagles are looking better. It will be a tough day for the Arsenal fullbacks to cope with the wing play of the Eagles. The Gunners will need to dig really deep for this one. I think that Arsenal will somehow manage to pick themselves up from last game week’s disappointment for the three points.
- Crystal Palace have been beaten in each of their last five Barclays Premier League encounters with Arsenal.
- Arsenal’s victories last season in this fixture both came by a 2-1 scoreline, with a goal in the 45th minute both times.
Manchester City v Chelsea
Last Five Meetings: W1 D2 L2
Fabian Says: The big one! Look, Jose Mourinho knows City are probably better than his side currently and so will seek to stifle their play. Won’t be surprised if Chelsea steal the points.
Fridah Says: Well, this has boring written all over it but I’m hoping I’m wrong. Both sides possess the qualities to entertain and make for a good show. Yaya Toure is looking good as is Silva. Chelsea have just Oscar for the moment. I think if City impart themselves then they will win this.
- Manchester City have won only two of their last nine matches against Chelsea in the Barclays Premier League (D3 L4).
- Jose Mourinho has won seven and lost just two of the 12 meetings as a coach with Manuel Pellegrini (D3).
Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth
Last Five Meetings: The teams have met twice. Liverpool have won both times.
Fabian Says: There’s a feel good factor among the Kop, especially after they banished their demons at the Britannia last weekend. Bournemouth adhere to the type of passing game synonymous with Brendan Rodgers and that can only play into Liverpool’s hands.
Fridah Says: Feels like Bournemouth will have the worst possible start to their life in the premier league. I don’t know how they will get past Liverpool.
- Liverpool have never lost to AFC Bournemouth in six previous cup fixtures (W4 D2). This will be their first league meeting.
- AFC Bournemouth’s two previous trips to Anfield to face the Reds have ended in a 4-1 defeat (FA Cup third round replays in 1927 and 1968).
And here’s how Matchweek 1 picks compared to the actual results. 5 points awarded to the correct result and scores, while 3 is awarded to just the correct result.
|Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur||2-1||1-1||1-0|
|AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa||3-1||2-0||0-1|
|Everton v Watford||1-1||2-1||2-2|
|Leicester City v Sunderland||2-0||3-2||4-2|
|Norwich City v Crystal Palace||0-2||1-4||1-3|
|Chelsea v Swansea City||2-1||2-0||2-2|
|Arsenal v West Ham United||3-1||3-0||0-2|
|Newcastle United v Southampton||1-2||1-1||2-2|
|Stoke City v Liverpool||2-1||3-1||0-1|
|West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City||1-0||1-0||0-3|